30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Tuesday, September 5, 2017

Expensive and Emotional

I've enjoyed collecting oddball issues almost as long as I have enjoyed collecting baseball cards.  It started with early 80's Kellogg's and mid 80's Mother's Cookies sets.  These days I enjoy collecting everything from 70's Hostess to 90's Denny's holograms.

So when I noticed that Tony (King of Oddball Issues) included one-sixth of his 30 Day Baseball Card Challenge to oddballs, I was pretty excited.  The only one I was a seriously nervous about was the Day 23 Challenge, which is to show off a favorite oddball card from the 1950's.

I don't own a lot of cards from the 1950's to begin with... let alone an oddball issue from the 50's.

Thankfully I started seeing a few collectors showing off their Red Man Tobacco cards on either blogs or YouTube videos.  I instantly fell in love with the beautiful paintings and colorful backgrounds and knew I wanted one for my collection.

The two biggest dilemmas were choosing a player and figuring out how much I wanted to spend.  Eventually I narrowed it down to three of the best hitters within the four checklists: Stan Musial, Ted Williams, and Willie Mays.

I wanted to spend somewhere between $50 to $75 for a PSA 4 (or higher) graded copy, but kept coming up short after bidding on five to seven auctions.

Then on Saturday, June 3rd, I spent the day hanging out with my best friend and her daughters.  We wrapped things up at around 2pm and then I watched them drive off towards their new home in Oregon.

To make a long story short, it was a pretty emotional day.

That night I kicked off an epic eBay shopping spree in hopes of taking my mind off of things and after an intense bidding war, I walked away with this:


I'll spare the specifics out of embarrassment, but I will say that it's the second most expensive single I have ever purchased.  However two months later, I don't regret the purchase.  It features a smiling Mays at the Polo Grounds with a beautiful orange and yellow sky.


The card itself is in excellent condition and still has the tab intact.  Did I overpay?  Maybe.  But now that I have the card in my collection in all of its glory, I definitely consider it a cornerstone piece.  Plus it'll always be remembered as the card that kicked off one heckuva shopping spree.

What about you?

Do you ever shop to help take your mind off of things?

Lol.  I hope I'm not the only one.

Happy Tuesday and sayonara!

14 comments:

Mark Hoyle said...

Yes. I shop often to get my mind off various topics. Mostly work. Love the Redman Mays. I've done the Redsox Redman sets and a few other here and there. The Ted Williams is my fav

Hackenbush said...

Yes, I'm sure I have. It's called "retail therapy". It's a great card. Presumably you can still buy groceries. "One heckuva shopping spree" Fuji, you're such a tease!

night owl said...

I'm more of an eater than a shopper when I'm stressed.

Billy Kingsley said...

A very large portion of my NBA collection was acquired in the 3 years after I lost my dad to cancer. They were the only thing I found any enjoyment in...and 15 years later, still are.

Brett Alan said...

I've definitely been doing eBay shopping for cards when stressed lately. But my wife does more "retail therapy" than I do!

arpsmith said...

Awesome card! I hope to add one to my collection some day but I will probably go with a lesser conditions (ie cheaper) version. I am all for some occasional retail therapy, whatever gets you through it.

Anonymous said...

I can't even guess as to how many of my posts start off with "I was having a crappy day at work so I went to Target at lunchtime..."

That Mays is one beeeeeee-yooooooo-tiful card. May you get many years of joy from it.

ketchupman36 said...

For a PSA 6, that card appears to be in fine condition!

Greg Zakwin said...

I think we've all bought simply to take our mind off of other, non-cardboard things. And you can NEVER go wrong with Red Man cards with the tab! Sweet pickup!

Jongudmund said...

If it makes you happy you didn't overpay. What price happiness? Unless you're a numismatist, money won't make you happy until you turn it into something.

BobWalkthePlank said...

When I had a tumor removed from my leg a few years back I purchased a crapload of cards.

Collecting Cutch said...

I have retail therapy far too often. That is a stunning card. Awesome pickup!

Fuji said...

mark hoyle - one day... when i finally streamline my collection... maybe i'll eventually pick up a williams. who knows... maybe the musial too.

hackenbush - retail therapy. i like it. yeah, left enough in savings to cover food, travel, and mortgage.

night owl - damn. i forgot to mention that i went out to a few nice steak restaurants too.

billy kingsley - sorry to hear about your father... but it's good to know that you still love your basketball collection. i sort of fell out of love with mine a few years ago. if and when i trim the fat, that'll be the first stuff to go.

brett alan - the good news is that she can't complain since she's shopping too

arpsmith - best of luck. there are plenty to be had for under $50.

shlabotnikreport - thanks. glad to know i'm not alone ;)

ketchupman36 - yeah. i tried to figure out why it only received a 6. it looks pretty clean in my book.

greg zakwin - thanks. yeah... i really wanted to find one with the tag intact.

jongudmund - love your philosophy. there's a lot of truth to your comment. on the other hand, there's the whole idea that the more possessions you own... the more they own you ;)

matthew scott - glad you were able to catch that tumor and have it removed. it's also good to know that i'm not alone

collecting cutch - yeah... but your cutch collection is second to none.

acrackedbat said...

i find much comfort in cardboard and pizza (not to be confused with cardboard pizzas.) I hope you are able to stay in touch with your friend.