30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Flea Market Finds #97: Moses and the 4 Star General

The flea market has been placed on the back burner... and now that we're headed into winter... I probably will only go once (maybe twice) a month if I'm lucky.  With that in mind... I forced myself to get out of bed and head on down to the Capitol Flea Market this past Sunday.  Rolling back the clocks an hour was additional motivation and left me with no excuses.

Unfortunately... I didn't find any affordable sports cards.  Oh there were several dealers out there with them.  One of them even had some decent vintage.  But their prices were way too high for my liking and my latest approach to cardboard, so I passed.

On the other hand, I did manage to purchase a few non-sports related items...

Purchase #1:  Autographed 8x10's  $20


A few weeks ago, one of my friends picked up a binder of autographs.  The previous owner was an autograph collector who was selling off his duplicates.  He had a bunch of personalized autographs of entertainers and athletes.  Unfortunately, my name isn't Timothy.  There were about thirty that weren't personalized and these were the two that stood out.

I'm planning on having both of these authenticated by PSA at the Tristar show and hopefully flip these for a profit.  My buddy told me he'll give me a refund if they don't pass, so I really have nothing to lose.

Purchase #2:  Presidential Newspapers $2


I'm a sucker for nostalgia.  A vendor had a bunch of old newspapers... mainly with political headlines... so I grabbed these two.  I was hoping to find one with John F. Kennedy, but he didn't have any.

It's hard to tell by the photographs, but these are in excellent condition for being 45+ years old.  Newspapers tend to yellow (or brown) over time, but these look like they came straight out of the newspaper machine.

As soon as I have some free time, I'm going to open them up.  I'm really looking forward to seeing if any cool sporting events took place the day before.  I'm also excited to see what movies were in the theaters back then.

Well that's all for now.  Happy Wednesday and sayonara!

3 comments:

Commishbob said...

Wow am I jealous of the LBJ paper!!!

BobWalkthePlank said...

I have a newspaper that the headline was about the Black Sox scandal! It is not in very good condition.

Hopefully the autos come back as real. Those are pretty unique.

Fuji said...

commish - personally think vintage newspapers are undervalued. at least in the sense that they provide decent entertainment for the price.

matthew - wow... that newspaper sounds awesome. i bet that's worth some dough. i'll keep you guys posted on the authenticity of those autographs.