30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Proud to be a Copycat!

Think back to when you were a little kid.  What were some things you hated being called?  On my block, there were two things: "tattletale" and "copycat".


Thirty-plus years later, I still wouldn't want to be labeled a "tattletale" or as my students would say... a "snitch".

However... as an adult... I'm perfectly comfortable with being labeled a "copycat".  I'm always copying others.  Half of the food I eat is based on recommendations from family, friends, co-workers, and students.  Clothing too.  If I see a student wearing a cool hoodie... I have no problem asking them where they bought it.

And that goes for trading cards too.  Back in March, Nachos Grande busted a box of 2004 Topps Clubhouse in one of his group breaks.

Now I typically avoid getting into group breaks, but I enjoy reading posts about them.  And in this particular one, they pulled a ton of awesome relics.  In fact, 2004 Topps Clubhouse is a relic only product and the checklist is loaded with stars and hall of famers.

One of the players they pulled was Tony Gwynn


After seeing that card, I immediately went over to COMC to see if there were any available at a reasonable price.  Normally I don't spend over $3 for a relic card, but I made an exception this time.  I offered the owner $4.20 and he accepted.


I also added these three HOFer jersey cards to my collection for $9.58.  Every now and then, I'll look these up on COMC to see if I can add a few more of these shiny relics... but so far, I've come up empty-handed.

In the meantime, I'll continue scouring your blogs for cards I'd like to add to my collection.  And if by chance I copy you, try not to be too offended.  Just remember that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Happy Tuesday and sayonara!

2 comments:

defgav said...

I was the lucky duck who ended up with that Gwynn in the group break! I'm sincerely flattered! :)

Fuji said...

Congratulations! That card inspired me to go on my little COMC shopping spree.