30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Saturday, November 9, 2013

Wrong Side Bob!

Do you follow 30-Year Old Cardboard?  If so, I'm sure you've seen his numerous posts highlighting Bob Gibson's amazing 17 year MLB career.  The posts covered everything from his magical 1968 season to his 1981 first ballot Baseball Hall of Fame induction.

Those information in those posts made me truly appreciate Mr. Gibson and his contribution to the game.  It also made me remember the time that he signed my 1997 Donruss Significant Signatures card on the back, instead of the front:


C'mon Bob!  I know that this was your first MLB licensed certified autographed card, but I'm sure you've been signing cards since the start of your career.  Heck... you signed these two certified cards on the front:


Not My Cards:  Google Images

And these came out two to three years earlier than my card.

Anyways... it's your special day, so I won't ruin it by whining and complaining.  According to Beckett you have 1,241 different autographs in circulation... and my guess is this is the only one you signed on the back.  That's plenty of amazing Bob Gibson autographs for collectors to chase down.

Happy Birthday Mr. Gibson!

As for everyone else... happy Saturday and sayonara!

12 comments:

The Lost Collector said...

Never seen that! I'd be kind of pissed if I pulled it.

The Angels In Order said...

You gotta wonder.

Greg Zakwin said...

Ryan Getzlaf did something similar on one of his certified John Hancocks.

http://plaschkethysweaterisargyle.blogspot.com/2012/08/a-1-ryan-getzlaf-error-autograph.html

Eric Bracke said...

Bob Gibson is a rather particular signer. It's the only in-person signing I've ever been to where there was tension, a long list of things he would not sign, and a running commentary about whether or not he liked the item. Intense. I own plenty of Gibson autographs, but have never sprung for this one. It is unique, I will give it that.

Hackenbush said...

Maybe Bob liked the better and bigger picture on the back. I do. Also I've always thought the front of those cards was way too dark and muddy for a signature.

gcrl said...

i have a don sutton certified auto that has his signature on the back. he also signed the front. it's weird.

Fuji said...

Bummer. At least he tried to sign it along the white back ground. In fact, if the Ducks logo wasn't there, that card back sort of looks like a card front, so I can see where Getzlaf made the mistake.

Fuji said...

Interesting. I like the words you chose: "particular", "tension", and "intense". I guess it's a good thing that he a pretty active signer for card companies.

Fuji said...

Yeah the photo on the back is a lot nicer than the one on the front. And I totally agree that Donruss made the fronts too dark. It would have been cool had they given the players gold paint pens instead of black sharpies.

Fuji said...

two autographs for the price of one? awesome!

Ana Lu said...

I didn't know the blog but right now I adde it to my reading list. Each passing day I know a new blog :-)

Fuji said...

You won't regret it. Great daily baseball facts.