30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Saturday, November 2, 2013

Saturday Night Five: Bay Area Treasure Trove

Remember the Treasure Trove of Goodies?  Well... I finally sifted through the boxes and produced three piles:  one for my students, one for the flea market, and one for my PC.

Here's a look at five "lots" I decided to keep for myself...

#1:  Tony La Russa Autograph Lot




I'm in the mood to start off with the big ticket item.  It's an official MLB baseball signed on the sweet spot by the former Oakland A's manager with the 2nd most wins in franchise history.  According to the note that was tucked inside of the box, this ball was sent to A's season ticket holders in 1995.



There were also several incomplete sets of Mother's Cookies trading cards, including several team albums.  In one of the albums there was another Tony La Russa autograph.  Both of these are amazing additions to my Oakland Athletics PC.


#2:  Small Collection of Super Bowl Programs




Before this, I owned one Super Bowl program.  Now I own six.  I probably won't chase down the other forty-one programs, but one of these days I'd at least like to grab the ones involving the Packers and Seahawks.


#2:  1976 Coca-Cola Pocket Schedule



This is probably the most unique item in the bunch.  It's a pocket schedule (w/ stadium maps) featuring the San Francisco 49ers, Oakland Raiders, SJSU Spartans, Stanford Cardinals, CAL Bears, and Santa Clara Broncos.


#3:  1982 Stanford vs. CAL Football Program


If you're a fan of college football, then you probably know the significance of this particular game.  Just in case you don't know... here's the play that made the game famous:



#4:  California Golden Seals Memorabilia

I've been debating on whether or not to start a California Golden Seals PC.  These two items have solved that dilemma.


First up is this cool team poster from their final season in Oakland.  There was also this cool Seals Booster sticker in the box.





#5:  1994-95 Upper Deck BAP Igor Larionov Autograph


Last, but not least there was this Be A Player autograph.  There are only two San Jose Sharks who have been elected into the Hockey Hall of Fame.  This guy was one of them.  Unfortunately, he's mostly remembered by hockey fans for his years with the Red Wings and the time he spent on the KLM Line.

Happy Saturday and sayonara!

6 comments:

Greg Zakwin said...

Nice additions!

Commishbob said...

A 'lot' to love here (pun intended). The Big Game program is really cool. The broadcast of the last play is nuts wild. I don't think I've ever heard an announcer 'lose it' like that Joe Starkey did. "The most amazing, sensational, dramatic, heart-rending... exciting, thrilling finish in the history of college football!" LOL

I spotted one of my favorite New York Rangers on the Golden Seals team picture. Jim 'Chief' Neilson in in the front row in civvies with a cast on his foot. I'd forgotten about his being in the WHA although I know I must have seen him play against the Houston Aeros back in the day. We rarely missed a game.

Fuji said...

Thanks Greg.

Fuji said...

Yeah that was pretty awesome. I was only 10 years old... but remember everyone talking about the play. Everyone. As for the Seals... you know one more member of that team than I do. That's right... if you asked me to name one player who played for the Seals, I wouldn't be able to. But... they're part of Bay Area history and sooner or later, I'll start studying my Seal history.

Ana Lu said...

Those Super Bowl programs are something to keep in mind. It's like those futuristic films from the '60s/'70s when we thought that by the turning of 2000 years we would be living on the Moon, at least.

Fuji said...

Nice call. While checking these guys out... I started wondering why none of these focus on the two Super Bowl participants. They must have the artists work on these well before the playoffs.