30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Friday, November 8, 2013

PC Spotlight #23: Another Form Of Cardboard

I'm a hoarder.  Okay, maybe I'm exaggerating a little.  But at the very least... I'm a collector.

It started with Star Wars action figures in the 70's.  Baseball cards came along in the 80's.  CD's, VHS movies, vinyl records, and a variety of other sports memorabilia in the 90's.  Then in the early 2000's... my collecting days hit a wall.  I wanted to buy a place and become more responsible with my money, so I sold a bunch of stuff I collected over the years and only kept a handful of items.

A decade later, I'm back in the game.  But hopefully this time around, I'll be smarter about what I collect.

The days of busting boxes of cards and racking up credit card debt are long over and a big portion of my collectibles are based on discounted purchases.

However... one problem continues to haunt me.  Lack of storage space.

A few weeks ago, I decided to clean out my garage to consolidate my possessions, dump unwanted trash, and create more room to store things.  While digging through boxes, I came across a small stack of postcards:


I picked up the Bench a few months ago off of an internet dealer I've used for a few years now.  I have no way of knowing if the autograph is legit, but I've never had reason to think he'd sell me a fake autograph.  If any of you guys know your Bench signatures, feel free to comment below.


I'm not quite sure where I acquired this Koufax, but it looks like it's from the 60's.  There were a few other postcards of Dodgers in the stack, but this one was easily my favorite.


The last one I want to show off had been missing, but I thankfully found it.  Now it can hang out with the other Jackie Robinson pieces of cardboard in my collection.

Back in 2000, the United States Postal Service issued a sheet of stamps that featured a bunch of baseball legends, including the Jackie Robinson shown above.


Well... that's all folks.  As of right now, I probably have 10 to 15 sports postcards in all.  One of these days I'll create a binder dedicated to them and who knows... maybe I'll transition from sports cards to postcards.

Happy Friday and sayonara!

6 comments:

Corky said...

I love finding lost treasures, it is like getting a big win for your collection with out spending any more money.

Baseball Nut said...

The Bench auto looks really good. The only thing I would check, and its hard for me with your scan, is the loop off the bottom of the B should not continue into the E. He definitively finishes the B before starting the E in every auto I've seen. The loop can touch the E, but not be used to start the E.

At some point I would love to pick up Bench's auto. I used to have it on a ball with a personalized message from Bench to me that my father was able to pick up in person when I was a kid. Unfortunately one of my friends "borrowed" it without telling me and returned it completely scuffed up to the point where I couldn't even read what was on the ball. It has always bothered me.

Ana Lu said...

Being a hoarder is not easy..err..I mean a collector! ;-)
Houses tend to shrink over time. Still have to understand why...

Fuji said...

Lol... great way of looking at things.

Fuji said...

Sorry to hear about your Bench ball. That's terrible. I hope your friend apologized at the very least... if he/she is still your friend.

Fuji said...

Tell me about it. I'm going back into the garage to continue the work I started a few weeks ago.