30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Insert Appropriate Title Here


I spent a solid two to three minutes thinking about the title of this post and I still haven't found anything I deem appropriate for this blog.  Every idea that popped into my head just didn't pass the PG rating guidelines I restrict myself to.

Oh well... I guess that's the price of becoming a middle school teacher.  I wouldn't want one of my students stumbling across this post and seeing something inappropriate.

Alright.  With that out of the way, let's get to the huge PC addition pictured above.  I recently purchased a lot of nineteen 1999 Sports Illustrated Greats of the Game autographs and Mr. Williams was the centerpiece of the purchase.

As an Oakland A's and San Diego Padres fan, I've been wanting to add this card to my collection for awhile now.  Williams led Oakland to back to back World Series titles in 1972 and 1973.  Eleven years later, he took the Padres to their first World Series appearance.

He was inducted into The Baseball Hall of Fame on July 27th, 2008.  Unfortunately Mr. Williams passed away in 2011, but he will always be remembered by this baseball fan.

Happy Wednesday and sayonara!

19 comments:

cynicalbuddha said...

Nice. I picked up a Rollie Fingers auto from this set not too long ago and on the cheap.

defgav said...

That's a nice looking Dick! As a Padre HOFer, he's a guy I collect, though of everybody on that short list my PC of him is probably the most flaccid. One of these days I'll need to pump it up.

Commishbob said...

I like that Williams, the white hat is a nice uni touch. The set is fun. I have a Paul Blair and a David Clyde somewhere around here. I need to dig them out.

The Lost Collector said...

This is a cool set. I should pick up a Yank.

Hackenbush said...

I remember having an issue with the seller on an eBay purchase that included that card. Somehow it was straightened out and the package finally arrived. I can't recall which the others were but I was glad to have the Williams for sure. I love the SI sets, particularly the ones with the magazine covers. PS Pink elephant. (oh, now I've made it worse)

gcrl said...

i've got the nettles if you are interested...

gcrl said...

hey fuji - nice pick up. i was glad to get an auto from williams before he passed. if you've read 'boys of summer', you know that he came up with a creative way to curse at umpires without getting kicked out of games. still wouldn't have been an appropriate title for the post, though.

Ana Lu said...

PG rating is a bloody mess sometimes ;)
I didn't know the A's had white caps. I always picture them in yellow and green. No more room for any other colour.

Chuck's Used Cards said...

Only the coaches wore the white A's caps in the late 1960's and early 1970's. Look for pictures of Joe DiMaggio as an Oakland coach - he's got the white cap too.

Greg Zakwin said...

We live in an R-rated world.

Fuji said...

Yeah this set is awesome if you're looking for affordable autographs. I'll show off a few more I picked up in future posts.

Fuji said...

Lol... best of luck!

Fuji said...

Both of these guys were a part of the 19 card lot. Yeah... I haven't seen the white hat before.

Fuji said...

There's a Hank Bauer in the set too.

Fuji said...

Yeah... the ones with the magazine covers are my favorites. It's a shame they didn't use them for all of their autographs. Lol... nice title.

Fuji said...

Never read it... but I'll definitely go check it out.

Fuji said...

Me too. I'm an A's fan and I've never seen those hats either.

Fuji said...

Thanks for the information. I can't believe I didn't know that.

Fuji said...

We sure do. But as a teacher, I have to monitor my digital footprint ;-)