30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Flea Market Finds #48: Dollar Deals

Last weekend, I went out to the De Anza Flea Market and the Capitol Flea Market with one agenda:  EXERCISE.

Yup, that's right.  I'm no longer going to buy everything I want or grab every good deal that crosses my path.  Instead, it's about getting out there, breathing in the fresh air, and getting a little exercise.

In fact, I found a bunch of dealers with sports cards and sports memorabilia... but I didn't cave.  After two days, I spent a whopping $8.  That's less than what I spent on gas, parking, and admission.  And guess what?  I'm absolutely okay with that.

When:  Saturday, November 2nd
Where:  De Anza Flea Market
What:  Kenner Starting Lineups
How Much?:  $3

Purchase #1:  Three Kenner Cooperstown Collection Starting Lineups $3




I almost left De Anza empty handed, but there's no way I can walk away from dollar bin SLU's.  Each of the figures had slightly damaged packaging, but that didn't bother me.  As soon as I got home, I opened them up and freed them from their plastic cells.

1997 Cooperstown Collection Josh Gibson

1997 Cooperstown Collection Carl Yastrzemski

1998 Cooperstown Collection Warren Spahn

Three new additions to my baseball shelf, along with three new additions to my Kenner SLU card collection:



I really like the 1997 Cooperstown Collection card design and Kenner did an excellent job with photo selection on these two players.


The Spahn turned out to be an error card.  The first thing that I noticed was that the card back was upside down, but upon closer inspection a bigger mistake stood out (see for yourself).  Yup... that back belongs to Frank Robinson, not the hall of fame pitcher.


When:  Sunday, November 3rd
Where:  Capitol Flea Market
What:  Indiana Jones and the Trash Can Trolls
How Much?:  $5

Purchase #1:  Indiana Jones DVD $1


Normally I don't buy my DVD's at the flea market, because I'm they're often scratched or not originals.  But every now and then, I'll stumble across a movie that I want to watch.  And if the price is right, I'll pick it up.

I've wanted to see this movie since its release five years ago.  The seller looked like he was selling his personal collection and the case was in good condition.  So I popped it open, checked the DVD, and handed over my dollar bill.

Unfortunately... the movie wasn't as good as I had hoped.  It wasn't terrible.  But it wasn't amazing either.


Purchase #2:  1992 Topps Trash Can Trolls Wax Box $4


What can I say?  I'm addicted to ripping cheap wax.  I'm not going to lie.  I hate trolls, but I love Garbage Pail Kids.  And actually it was the fuzzy hair on the box that caught my attention, so I asked the guy how much he wanted.

He told me he'd take $5, so I countered with $3.  He told me the lowest he'd go was $4... so I quickly did the math in my head.  Thirty-six packs at four dollars breaks down to nine packs for a buck, which is around 11¢ a pack.  I can live with that.

In the end, I was able to build one complete set of 88 stickers plus have a nice start on a second set (which I won't be building).  If you're interested in learning more about this set, see my post on A Pack To Be Named Later.


So there you go.  Two flea markets without breaking a ten spot.  And although I didn't find a 1965 Topps Pete Rose for my collection, I managed to pull a 1992 Prickly Pete.

Happy Wednesday and sayonara!

16 comments:

Wes Moore the former JBF said...

Prickly Pete for approximately a penny! I think you won this round with the flea market. And any $1 SLU is a definite win.

unclemoe said...

Wow. Nice SLUs for a buck.

BASEBALL DAD said...

Wow ! Josh Gibson Wow !! $1.00 Wow !!!

Spiegel83 said...

You get some great deals at flea markets in the North. Should have checked one out when I was in Oakland last weekend.

Unknown said...

Gotta agree with Baseball Dad. That Josh Gibson SLU for $1 is awesome. I'd be interested in it if you want to trade it

Play at the Plate said...

I'd be all over that Gibson and Yaz if I saw them. Nice pickups!!

Greg Zakwin said...

The Josh Gibson is excellent. Also, South Park did wonders to pick at that Indy movie.

cynicalbuddha said...

You should go find the South Park episode that makes fun of the Indian Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, especially after you just watched it.

Dion's IP Autos only said...

Do you know if the Spahn Robinson Error card a common mistake? or Did you find a real find for a buck?

Ana Lu said...

Cooperstown cards, no matter the set or brand selling it usualy they look simply the best.
I went to the cinema to watch the 4th Indy film. The best scene is right at the begining when he gets 'bumm' in that refrigerator. I loved the 3th film too much to accept any Indy film after that.

The Junior Junkie said...

Kingdom of the Crystal Skull suuuuuuucked. Nice SLU's, tho.

Fuji said...

The vendor had a few more... including a Dottie Kamenshek... which I totally regret not picking up.

Fuji said...

If you're ever in the Bay Area during the first weekend of the month... DEFINITELY check out the De Anza Flea Market. There's a lot of cool memorabilia to be found there.

Fuji said...

Sorry buddy. The card is part of my Kenner SLU collection... and the figure is on my baseball shelf in my classroom.

Fuji said...

I don't know how common the error is. When I did a search last weekend, I found a regular "correct" version, so I know at least one of each exists.

Fuji said...

Thanks guys! I'll definitely track down that South Park episode and check it out.