30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

As a Warriors fan... I understand, but disagree.


Last night, I went to the Warriors game to watch the Golden State Warriors retire Chris Mullin's jersey and to collect the final Run TMC bobblehead (stay tuned for a separate bobblehead post). By now, you've probably either seen or heard what happened during the halftime ceremony. If not... see the drama for yourself:


As a first year Warriors fan... I just want to say that I understand, but disagree.

I understand why many Warriors fans are frustrated with owner Joe Lacob. Last week, he traded Monta Ellis, a fan favorite and arguably the best player on the roster to Milwaukee for Andrew Bogut, who some consider to be fragile and injury prone. In addition to Monta, Lacob also shipped Ekpe Udoh, who was quietly becoming a fan favorite... at least in my eyes.

In other words, Lacob threw all hopes of a playoff season out the window... in hopes of drawing a lottery pick in the 2012 NBA Draft and of course building a playoff bound roster around Stephen Curry, David Lee, and Andrew Bogut.


But I don't agree with how some of those fans handed themselves last night. (IMHO) There's a time and place for everything. And last night was suppose to be Chris Mullin's night. Instead he was forced to share it with a showering of boos that (at the very least) made things awkward and (for some) embarrassing. (IMHO) Mullin should not have to defend the owner from fans on his special evening... an evening dedicated to the player who gave Golden State Warriors fans 13 amazing seasons (including 5 straight all-star appearances), 807 games (most in franchise history), 16,235 points (4th in franchise history), 3,146 assists (4th in franchise history), and 1,360 steals (most in franchise history).

By no means, do I want to sound like I'm passing judgement on my fellow Warriors fans. In fact, I understand and respect the fact that everyone has the right to their own opinion.

I just want to assure my readers that although I understand the frustration among many Warriors fans, I wasn't one of those who booed.

Congratulations Mr. Mullin... you're a Bay Area legend and a class act. I'm sure ten years from now, when the Warriors have a few more championship banners in the rafters... people will only remember the retirement of your jersey and not the drama.

I hope all of you have a wonderful week... and sayonara!

2 comments:

Charles @ Hoopography said...

That was rough. There is a time and place.

Fuji said...

Yeah... it's been interesting reading what other Warriors fans have to say on the issue. I stand by what I wrote. It's just unfortunate that the situation rained on Mullin's parade.