30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Monday, January 23, 2012

Placekickers Need Love Too!


Long snappers, punters, & placekickers... oh my!

I'm not sure about you... but in terms of collecting football cards these three positions get the least amount of hobby love from this collector.

And after watching this...


I felt the need to show Billy Cundiff & his fellow placekicker peers... that I care. So today's post is dedicated to them.

And in honor of them all... here's the lone placekicker memorabilia card in my collection:

2001 Stadium Club "Pro Bowl Jerseys" #SP-MG Martin Gramatica

Okay... so Gramatica isn't exactly a star. But he did lead the league in field goals made back in 2002... the same year he helped the Tampa Bay Buccaneers beat the Oakland Raiders in Super Bowl XXXVII. Plus... he played in one Pro Bowl.

In fact... this is the only jersey card out there for Gramatica collectors. He has one other memorabilia card, but it contains a piece of a goal post... not a jersey.

Okay your turn...

Who's your favorite placekicker of all-time?

Damn... this is a tough question. My first instinct was to go with Norm Johnson... Seattle's placekicker for most of the 80's... and their all-time leading scorer.

But then I remembered Joe Nedney. Nedney is a local guy, who is one year younger than me. He attended Santa Teresa High School, which was my high school's rival at the time. Later he attended SJSU, where he set their all-time scoring record.

Happy Monday... and sayonara!


8 comments:

Wilson said...

Jeff Wilkins, he was reliable for a few good and a lot of bad Rams teams, and tough as nails.

SpastikMooss said...

Wow, a tough one!

Was Adam Vinatieri for obvious reasons for a while But then he went to the Colts, which was...ehhhh.

I like the Browns Phil Dawson a lot. Also Jose Cortez was awesome...obviously I thought that since I really wanted to get a custom card of his. Janikowski is pretty sweet. And I always liked Matt Stover in the early days of the Ravens.

Section 36 said...

Gotta love Tony Franklin and his bare foot.

Although, Vinatieri and his rings are a nice touch.

Robert said...

Robo leg...Rob Bironas is a helluva kicker that gets no love in TN.

Fuji said...

matt - i had wilkins on my fantasy team a few times and was awesome!

spastik - the next placekicker relic card i own... will be a janikowski.

section 36 - whatever happened to those barefoot kickers of the 80's?

robert - bironas was another one of my fantasy kickers... nice call.

Spankee said...

The Hokie in me says Shayne Graham.

The Madden 2001 fan in me says Jason Elam.

John Bateman said...

Roy Gerela's Gorilla's

Fuji said...

spankee - elam is another one of my favorites... he went to the university of hawaii (where my mom and a bunch of my relatives went), so i'm sort of a closet fan.

john - wow... blast from the past. 70's right? nice call.