30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Monday, April 4, 2011

Hidden Treasures #4: Tom "Satch" Sanders

Earlier today, I read an article over at ESPN's website which listed this year's NBA HOF class. I already knew about the selection of Dennis Rodman, since he was all over the internet the past couple of days. I've always been entertained by him, so it was nice to see that he's been elected.

I was also happy to hear that Chris Mullin got the nod too. Growing up in the Bay Area... it was hard not to like Mr. Mullin. He was the second to last member of the 1992 Dream Team to be enshrined... and since Christian Laettner won't be added anytime soon... he'll be the last of a truly amazing team.

Another Bay Area legend was selected. Tara Vanderveer has spent the past 23 years as the Stanford women's basketball coach and has won two National Championships with them. My nephew who is a huge Stanford fan was truly bummed to see them lose last night to Texas A&M.

Teresa Edwards, Herb Magee, Artis Gilmore, Arvydas Sabonis, Goose Tatum, Tex Winter, and Tom Sanders were also inducted. I had either watched or heard of all of these guys except for Herb Magee, Goose Tatum, and Tom Sanders.

But after reading a little about each of them... Tom Sanders and his NBA team of 13 seasons started to ring a bell.

It took me a while to figure it out... but then I remembered I had a GAI certified autograph of an old-time Boston Celtics player. A few clicks of the mouse later and I realized it was of Tom "Satch" Sanders.


The card is a homemade cut autograph that honestly looks pretty cheesy. Tom's name, photo, team, and years of service are printed in color on the front of thick cardstock, which is a little miscut. The creator then took Mr. Sanders' autograph, which looks to be signed on either copy paper or a blank index card, and mounted it on the custom card.

I guess I have no right to judge, since I have no expertise on creating custom cards... but I've seen a lot better on YouTube. I'm also not sure how reliable GAI is... but the autograph itself is pretty clean.

I'm not sure exactly how I acquired the card, but my guess is that I picked it up in one of my Ebay or Craigslist purchases.

Anyway I look at it... it's still pretty cool to find an autograph of one of this year's HOF inductees sitting in my tradebait.

If I don't trade it by the time Summer rolls around... I'll probably include it in my contest that'll take place in June/August.

Monday's question of the day:

Before the announcement of Tom "Satch" Sanders induction into the basketball HOF... had you heard of him? If so... was he known more for being a player or a coach?

Have a great week everyone! Sayonara!


6 comments:

Wes Moore the former JBF said...

Never heard of Mr. Sanders. I like the card, it's pretty unique!

Charles @ Hoopography said...

Mullin is one of my fav's. I just got a new auto'd Mullin card too. I'll have to post it soon. I'm glad he got in.

Fuji said...

jaybarkerfan - lol... glad I'm not the only one who's never heard of him.

charles - can't wait to check it out!

Mike said...

Sanders definitely a better player then coach. Magee is one of the best coaches around and has more wins then any other NCAA mens coach although this is at the D2 level. Tatum was famous for playing with the Harlem Globetrotters.

Offy said...

I've heard of Satch Sanders, but that might have something to do with where I live and my favorite team since I started following the sport.

When you played on a team that boasts names like Bill Russell, Bob Cousy, John Havlicek, Tom Heinsohn, Larry Bird, Robert Parish, Kevin McHale, etc it is easy to get lost in the shuffle.

Fuji said...

Offy - Yeah... they definitely have a lot of legends in the franchise history... btw... I haven't heard of Tom Heinsohn either... lol.