30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Thursday, December 2, 2010

Sports Card Trifecta #5: Kurt Suzuki

The past few days have been rough when it comes to my favorite sports teams.


Both of my football teams lost this weekend. The Packers lost to the Falcons 20 to 17 on a field goal by Matt Bryant with 13 seconds left to play. It was a great game... but a tough loss nonetheless. The loss leaves Chicago on top of the NFC North. It looks like things could wind down to the final game against the Bears at Lambeau in week 17.


Out in Seattle, the Chiefs whooped the Seahawks... 42 to 24. It was 21 to 17 after three quarters, but Matt Cassell threw two of his four touchdown passes in the fourth to keep the Chiefs in first place in the AFC West. Surprisingly, the Seahawks are tied for first in the NFC West with an amazing 5-6 record.


Next up... hockey. Out of all of my teams... the Sharks have been the most frustrating. I'm not going to start bashing them... because I know they're playing hard, but I'd be lying if I wasn't disappointed by their current standing in the Pacific Division. If you don't follow hockey... they're tied for last place with the Kings. I might be frustrated, but I'm not too worried. It's a long season and they have a lot of talent. I'm sure they'll be around when it's time for playoffs.


Finally... there's the Lakers. Like the Sharks... I'm not worried too much about their chances of making the playoffs... but their four game losing streak is pretty disappointing. I also feel that sometimes the whole team doesn't put 110% out there on the court. Plus... one area of concern has really surfaced this season. Their inability to defend elite point guards may hinder their chances of a three-peat.

Whatever... it's just sports right? I should appreciate the fact that I have a great family... amazing friends... a job I almost always look forward to going to... and of course... the best hobby in the world.

And today... it's going to be my favorite hobby that's going to help turn that frown upside down. Introducing... my fifth Sports Card Trifecta: Mr. Kurt Suzuki


Rookie Card: 2007 Topps 52 #12



Autographed Card: 2007 Sweet Spot Signatures #KS (#'d 37/99)



Memorabilia Card: 2009 Topps Heritage "Clubhouse Collection" #KS


Sometimes it's the simple things in life that make you happy. I'm a fan of Kurt for three reasons... he's on the A's... he's from Hawaii... and he's Japanese. It's that simple. He's one of those players that he could hit .205 with 10 home runs and I won't shed a tear. Why? Because I don't have crazy expectations for him. He's not Tony Gwynn... Greg Maddux... Kobe Bryant... Brett Favre... Aaron Rodgers... Steve Largent... or even Patrick Marleau. I guess you could say, he's baseball's version of Devin Setoguchi.

Today has been one of those days that proves that... sometimes having high expectations for something like sports teams can add a little frustration in your life... and sometimes something as simple as pieces of cardboard can pick you up when you're feeling a little down.

Hope you guys enjoyed the newest addition to my Sports Card Trifecta PC.

Thursday's question of the day is...

Do you ever get so frustrated with a favorite player or team... that it actually bums you out? If so... when was the last time it happened? If not... what's your secret? Meditation perhaps?

Tomorrow's Friday! One day left until the weekend. Sayanara!

3 comments:

Charles @ Hoopography said...

My bummed out moment in sports I think might have to be, "Strive for Five in '95". That was the Buffalo Bills slogan in 1995. I'm not sure if I could go through another Super Bowl Loss.

In retrospect, those were really good times. It was fun to watch the Bills and I collect players from those teams to this day.

BTW: I love UD Sweet Spot cards. I think they look great and are usually reasonably priced.

Great question. Enjoy the rest of your week Mark.

(...Joe) said...

Hmmm, let's see...

Favorite team: New York Mets

Years disappointed- 1987-1998
2001-2005
2007-present

'bout covers it.

Fuji said...

charles - i'm not sure about the first two years... but i definitely pulled for the bills in 92 & 93, when they played the cowboys.

btw... i'm a huge fan of sweet spot cards too. the only problem is that some of the autos tend to fade... but i love the design.

(...joe) - yeah... i understand you loud and clear.