30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Cheap Cool Cards #8: 1995 Select Certified "Mirror Gold" Michael Irvin

Anyone who truly knows me as a collector... knows that I'm a huge fan of the 90's insert craze. During that decade, card companies experimented with all sorts of card technologies: die-cuts, foil, refractors, acetates, holograms, embossing, and all kinds of cool stuff. It's no secret that my two favorites are refractors and cards made of acetate.

However... if I had to pick a third... I think I'd go with Pinnacle's response to the Topps refractor: the mirror gold.


The first "mirror gold" I pulled was of Dominik Hasek out of 95/96 Select Certified hockey. At the time, Hasek was one of the hottest goalies and this was one sweet pull. I remember pulling it at a shop and buying a screwdown for it. I'm not 100% sure... but I think these were worth around $20 to $30 at one time.

Like most 90's inserts, you can pick up mirror golds for a fraction of the price. In my latest COMC shipment, I received this 1995 Select Certified "Mirror Gold" Michael Irvin. According to the site, it books for $5, but I paid a buck for it.


Card: 1995 Select Certified "Mirror Gold" #75 Michael Irvin
Beckett Value: $5
eBay Price: $2.69 (+ $2.49 shipping)

I want to make one thing clear. I can't stand the Dallas Cowboys. They are my least favorite team in the league. However... it's hard not to respect Mr. Irvin's career accomplishments in the NFL.

Mr. Irvin caught the ball 750 times and had almost 12,000 receiving yards. He is the proud owner of three Super Bowl rings and will be remembered as being one of "The Triplets", along with Troy Aikman and Emmitt Smith. In 2007, he was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

So... when I saw the opportunity to pick up a mirror gold of a legitimate HOFer for one dollar... I had to pick it up.

In honor of Mr. Aikman, Mr. Smith, and Mr. Irvin... today's question of the day is:

Who do you think is the greatest offensive threesome (1 quarterback, 1 running back, & 1 wide receiver) to ever play on the team together?

Happy "hump" day... Enjoy the rest of your week. Sayonara!

1 comment:

Charles @ Hoopography said...

I can't argue with those Cowboys, but I like Kelly, Thomas, and Reed from the Bills.