30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Sunday, July 25, 2010

Set Showcase #1: 90/91 Fleer Basketball

I recently purchased a bunch of wax boxes off of Craigslist.org. Every single box was from the junk wax era, but I figured I can use some of them for a math lesson, others as classroom incentives, and even a couple for me to bust.

Last week, I taught a fraction and decimal lesson using some packs of 90/91 Fleer basketball. I used up a whole box and had 3 boxes left over.

As the kids were opening up their packs, I was thrown back in time when I noticed some of my students pulling cards fromt the all-star insert set.

Well, I grabbed the remaining 3 boxes and brought them home on Friday. Yesterday morning, I sat down and started ripping into packs. I figured I would need to open at least 2 boxes to complete that all-star insert set. After 45 minutes, I had busted all 3 boxes and began the process of sorting all of the cards.

I ended up with 5 complete sets of the regular base set and 1 set of the all-star insert set, along with a bunch of extras that I'll give out to my students this week.

So... without wasting anymore time. I introduce to you the 90/91 Fleer Basketball set.

Wax Box: 36 packs of 15 cards


Base Set: 196 players + 2 numbered checklists


Hall of Famers: 10.6% of the set (21 players)
Moses Malone
Dominique Wilkins

Larry Bird

Dennis Johnson

Kevin McHale

Robert Parish

Michael Jordan

Scottie Pippen

Adrian Dantley

Alex English

Joe Dumars

Isiah Thomas

Hakeem Olajuwon

Magic Johnson

James Worthy

Patrick Ewing

Charles Barkley

Clyde Drexler

David Robinson

Karl Malone

John Stockton



Rookies: 12.1% of the set (24 players)

Tom Hammonds

Blue Edwards

George McCloud

Vlade Divac

Dana Barros

Clifford Robinson

Sam Mitchell

Todd Lichti

Anthony Bowie

Jeff Grayer

Danny Ferry

Sarunas Marciulionis

Tim Hardaway

Pooh Richardson

B.J. Armstrong

Pervis Ellison

Stacey King

J.R. Reid

Sherman Douglas

Shawn Kemp

Sean Elliott

Mookie Blaylock

Glen Rice

Nick Anderson


Overall, I was actually pleased with set. The card design is simple and plain and the backs offers full career statistics, which cover all of the important categories. Since this product was way overproduced, it doesn't offer much value. My guess is the cost of shipping would match the cost of the actual 198 card set. However for the price of a few bucks, you get base cards of 21 Hall of Famers and rookie cards of Tim Hardaway and Shawn Kemp.


By the way, if you're into busting boxes... you can find these for under $10 and it produces close to 2 sets. You'll also pull 6 to 8 of the all-star inserts, which was the best part of this break and will be featured in a future post.


Thanks for reading!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I remember those cards. Seriously cool stuff. I should build it just to build it, you know? I'll never find the sets I built as a kid, and that's definetely affordable.

TheIronLung said...

Definitely overproduced.
But I always was a fan on that design. Ahhh, the memories!

Fuji said...

Now I'm on a mission to find the 90/91 Fleer Update set with the Gary Payton rookie. Hopefully someone will dump their 90's stuff at the flea market in the near future.

G_Moses... As soon as you finish your Murad set (w/o the silks)... I'll ship you a set to reward you on your amazing task. So hurry up and finish that set!

TJ said...

Very nice. I still think 90's basketball cards are the best.